Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Talk Radio Ads

I often listen to political talk shows on my car's satellite radio. When I get fed up with a right wing show I switch to a left wing show, when I get fed up with that I look for another right show, or give up. One thing I notice is the sort of ads that go with the shows. While some are probably for worthwhile products, a lot are get rich quick schemes, instructions on how to get credit by incorporating in Nevada, and the like.

What is interesting is that, so far as I can tell, the same ads run on left wing and right wing shows. That suggests that many of the people who listen to such shows, left and right, have something in common.

Perhaps credulity.

7 comments:

James said...

I seem to recall that there are a lot of left wing ads (environmental stuff, global warming stuff, anti-Bush stuff, etc) that run during the Michael Savage show. This strikes me as an odd outreach approach. I suspect that most Savage fans are not likely to be swayed by this.

Anonymous said...

I suspect it shows the types of ads that appeal to people whose jobs, or lack thereof, allow them to spend the day listening to talk radio...

Anonymous said...

I suspect some people tune in to the spokespeople for the wing opposite their own for argument fodder or to refill their outrage supply.

Milhouse said...

And markm gets the prize. I work with people who work with radio buyers, and have confirmed that most radio advertising is bought by format and daypart, not by individual show.

Syndicated shows sell their own advertising as well, which is obviously show-specific, but even there, typically half the ads you hear are station spots, not syndicator spots. And most of the talk shows out there are not syndicated, so all the ads are station spots.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I thought sattelite radio's big draw was ad-free radio.

Anonymous said...

You may want to try Canadian talk shows. They tend to broadcast discussions about current issues (usually political, but not always), and not about how stupid the Conservatives/Liberals are. Whatever bias you'll find to the left or right usually changes with the host - I have yet to hear a strictly conservative or liberal station.

When I first started listening in the States, I couldn't believe my inability to find an actual debate about policy.

Scott said...

Over a week since your last post, Dr. Friedman.

Let's get back to it, shall we?